He manages many different types of shoulder injuries including tendon tears, shoulder dislocations, and arthritis. He performs many complex shoulder procedures including arthroscopic rotator cuff repairs, labral repairs for instability, latarjet procedures, pectoralis major repairs, total shoulder replacement, and reverse total shoulder replacement.
- Texas Orthopedic Hospital
- Houston Methodist Hospital
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Certificate in Orthopaedic Sports Medicine
- Undergraduate: Duke University 1991
- Medical School: Duke University School of Medicine 1995
- Residency: Duke University 2001
- Fellowship: University of Pittsburgh Medical Center 2002
- Fellowship: University of Washington 2002
- Elkousy H, Khoriaty J, Vidal E, Vincent S, Buras B Laughlin M. (2022). Adverse events following mRNA vaccine administration from a busy orthopedic practice: A series of four cases. JSES Reviews, Reports, and Techniques. 10.1016/j.xrrt.2021.12.003.
- Cox JL, Laughlin MS, Elkousy HA, Baker HM, Badman BL, Buford DA, Kruse KK. Determination of rotator cuff tear reparability: An ultrasound-based investigation. Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery International. [Accepted pending publication].
- Sheth MM, Heldt BL, Spell JH, Vidal EA, Laughlin MS, Morris BJ, Elkousy HA, Edwards TB, Patient Satisfaction and Clinical Outcomes of Reverse Shoulder Arthroplasty: A Minimum of 10 Years Follow-Up, Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery (2021), doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/ j.jse.2021.09.012.
- Bender MJ, Morris BJ, Sheth MM, Laughlin MS, Budeyri A, Le RK, Elkousy HA, Edwards TB. Early complication rates following total shoulder arthroplasty for instability arthropathy with a prior coracoid transfer procedure. Orthopedics. 44: 471-476,2021. doi:10.3928/01477447-20210618-04
- Sheth MM, Morris BJ, Laughlin MS, Cox JL, Jones S, Elkousy HA, Edwards TB. Early to midterm outcomes of anatomic shoulder arthroplasty performed on dysplastic glenoids. Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery.30: S77-S83, 2021. doi: 10.1016/j.jse.2020.08.017
- Poondla RK, Sheth MM, Heldt BL, Laughlin MS, Morris BJ, Elkousy HA, Edwards TB. Anatomic and reverse shoulder arthroplasty in patients 70 years of age and older: A comparison cohort at early to mid-term follow up. Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery. 30:1336-133, 2021. doi: 10.1016/j.jse.2020.08.030
- Gombera MM, Morris BJ, Elkousy HA, Laughlin MS, Vidal EA, Brinker MR. Trauma fellowship impact on trends and complications of operatively treated clavicle fractures in recently trained orthopedic surgeons. Journal of Clinical Orthopaedics and Trauma. 2021; 13:24–29. doi: 10.1016/j.jcot.2020.08.025.
- Morris BJ, Kiser CJ, Laughlin MS, Sheth MM, Dunn WR, Elkousy HA, Edwards TB. A localized laminar flow device decreases airborne particulates during shoulder arthroplasty: A randomized controlled trial. Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery (2021) 30, 580–586.
- Morris BJ, Sheth MM, Laughlin MS, Elkousy HA, Edwards TB. Risk Factors for Preoperative Opioid Use in Patients Undergoing Primary Anatomic Total Shoulder Arthroplasty. Orthopedics. 2020 Nov 1;43(6):356-360. doi: 10.3928/01477447-20200721-12. Epub 2020 Aug 6. PMID:32745215.
- Gombera MM, Laughlin MS, Brown BS, Morris BJ, Edwards TB, Elkousy HA. The impact of fellowship type on trends and complications following total shoulder arthroplasty for osteoarthrosis by recently trained board eligible orthopedic surgeons. Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery. 29: e279-e286, 2020. doi: 10.1016/j.jse.2019.11.023
- University of Houston College of Medicine Voluntary Faculty in Department of Clinical Sciences, 2020-2023
- Texas Education and Research Foundation for Shoulder and Elbow Research Fellowship Director (TERFSES) – 2017- present
- Clinical Assistant Professor – UTMB Department of Orthopaedic Surgery 2015-present
- Reviewer – AJSM 2010-present
- Reviewer- Orthopedics 2011- 2015
- Reviewer – Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery 2009- present
- Editorial Board – Operative Techniques in Sports Medicine 2009
- Faculty- Baylor Primary Care Sports Medicine Fellowship 2006-present
- Faculty – FOARR Sports Medicine Fellowship 2007- 2010
- University of Texas Medical Branch –Galveston – community faculty 2007-present
- Baylor College of Medicine – volunteer faculty 2006-present
- Fellowship Director – FOARR Shoulder Fellowship 2004-2017
- University of Texas Health Sciences Center at Houston –volunteer faculty 2003-2011
- Arthroscopy Association of North America, Associate member 2015-present
- American Shoulder and Elbow Society, Active member 2012-present
- American Shoulder and Elbow Society, Associate Member, 2009-2012
- International Society of Arthroscopy, Knee Surgery and Orthopaedic Sports Medicine (ISAKOS) – 2008 through present
- Texas Orthopedic Association – 2005 through present
- Duke University Alumni Association (Regional interviewer) – 2004 through present
- American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine (AOSSM) – member 2002 through present
- Texas Medical Association – member 2002 through present
- Harris County Medical Society – member 2002 through present
- Houston Academy of Medicine – member 2002 through present
- NAAMA – member 2003 through present; member at large 2010
- NBA Team Physician Society 2003- 2011
- Piedmont Orthopaedic Society – member 1997 through present
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS) – member 1997 through present
Preoperative Knee Instructions
Preoperative Shoulder Instructions
Postoperative Knee Protocols
Postoperative Shoulder Protocols
Centers of Excellence
Please visit www.elkousysportsmd.com for more information